Wednesday 9 April 2014

Art for art's sake ...

Local artist, Cathy McClelland, recently tweeted that she had sold her Tabletop Mountain to a private Sydney art collector.

Prolific is not a word you can use to describe Cathy's work. No, better words would be exceptional, notable and remarkable. Stand on the escarpment on almost any morning in Spring or Autumn and the view of the real article will be little different to this masterpiece of poise and accuracy.

Unlike that popular 70's song by 10cc which had the lyrics of "Art for art's sake, money for God's sake" Cathy continues her habit of producing low numbers of exceptional quality. I don't know what Cathy sells her paintings for; I suspect I will never be able to afford one, but one thing I do know is that Cathy is not driven by the money. She paints because she loves to, and her care for her subject is evident in every brush stroke and palette knife dab.

Enjoying both national and international acclaim, Cathy's work is quintessentially Australian, supported by a technically adept and consummate talent . You can check out her paintings at https://www.facebook.com/cathymcclellandfineart.com.au

1 comment:

  1. I am privileged to own one of Cathy's works. It was given to me by my daughter for my birthday last year. The scene is my grandmother's home in the Koondaii Valley. It brings back so many memories as she has captured both the essence and the physical presence of the home.

    ReplyDelete