Monday 14 April 2014

Sesquipedalian


I learnt a new word today
Don't know when I'll use it
Normally I have little to say
Not much chance I'll abuse it.

It seems there are some people
Who use words long and fancy
Sitting high up in their steeples
For me it'd be too chancy.

What I want to know is
Who needs such arduous words?
Well, maybe the folks in showbiz
They don't do things by thirds.

And maybe the legal eagles
With their tortured, twisted tongues
And the investigative beagles
Chasing fugitives on the run.

And I suppose our politicians
Need a large vocabulary
And of course magicians
Like to take you up a tributary

And doctors write prescriptions
In their homologated text
For therapeutic medications
To keep their patients so perplexed.

And writers, authors and poets
Love the polysyllabic
Journalists and other all-know-its
Love the detail and the graphic

Even cowboys must'ring cattle
Issuing orders with invective
Want to show their mettle
Though simple words are as effective.

So I suppose there is a place
Other than a diphthong
For words in lowercase
That seem really, really long.



MDC 4/5/2005

2 comments:

  1. this is to good post share by you but for batter result of you blog you should keep continue with posting.
    kitchen toowoomba

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem has extended my vocab today
    Thanks, your writting brings pleasure I say

    ReplyDelete