Saturday 6 March 2021

Recovering from Concussion

1

Half-empty cups scattered through every room.

No wonder I can't find a clean one when 

making myself another coffee.  I can't 

find a clean shirt to wear and discover them 

all in the washing machine still damp from the 

cycle a few days ago.


2

The days are going very quickly or maybe 

it's because I'm sleeping so much.


4

I'm reading three (or is it four?) books at the 

moment and the plots are becoming a bit 

confusing. But the sixth one is really good!

It’s about this person who 


5

I paid a bill twice this week, or was that 

last week?  Or maybe I paid two bills 

twice, I'm not sure. 

I’m watching a new series on Netflix. I 

watched the same episode three times 

before I realised that it's not the plot that 

is slow.


6


7

I drive to the hospital (in yesterday’s clothes. I can’t 

find anything clean to wear) for my rehab appointment 

and get lost. By the time I find the right building I have 

a headache and am so confused I fail the cognitive and 

recall tests. They assure me there were five shapes I 

should recall but I’m pretty sure they didn't show me one

of them. They stop the physio test almost immediately 

and say they don't want to make things worse for me. 

They're all very kind and gentle but I can tell

they think I'm more injured than I really am.


8

My friends call me to ask how I'm going but 

I can't recall what I tell them. The next time they 

call me they tell me they realised how ill I am by 

my confusion on the previous call. I paid a bill 

twice last week.



8

I purchased an audio sound system 

from out of the back of some guy’s van in a car 

park. I arrived home feeling good about something 

I purchased for forty-five dollars. I

didn’t realise until I saw the email from 

my bank - the receipt was for $450.00

I found the speakers in the back of my car the 

next day when I went grocery shopping.



9

I got a phone call while driving into town the 

other day. When the call finished I found 

myself in a part of town I hadn’t seen for 

decades and had no memory of driving there.


10

The rehab people have put me under “house

arrest” saying I am a danger to myself and

to others. I don’t remember meeting anybody 

to be a danger to.


11

My boss rang me to see how I am going, and 

told me that everyone at work sent their 

‘Get-well-soon’ wishes. She told me that Troy 

had come around to fix something for me. 

I wonder what needed fixing?


12

All this stuff keeps arriving in the mail and on 

the courier. I don’t know who’s buying it all but 

luckily I like everything that has turned up so far.


13

I think I'll be able to go back to work on 

Monday, part-time of course, but apparently 

Monday was yesterday so it must be next

week. I think.


14

There’s four hundred and fifty dollars gone

from my bank account and I don’t know why!



MDC

October/November/December 2020


No comments:

Post a Comment